It really bugs me

»  12.16.2008

that I live in a place that's not conducive to walking.

I spent four years walking around the UT campus, and then I had the chance all over again to wear my legs out every time I visited Tokyo last year. Every time I felt like my legs wouldn't carry me anymore, they just kept on going.

I miss that sensation.

I can't even walk to a 7-11 from here. That's not a complaint about inconvenience, and it's certainly not a complaint about the opportunity to drive, but it does reveal just how little I could accomplish by walking from my house. I can't get a snack, a loaf of bread, or anything, really.

Chances are good that's a statement about life in a Texas city more than anything.

Going to grad school will grant me another two years of walking-induced health and weight loss, and hopefully after that I'll have the fortune of living somewhere where I can walk to get something done and save the driving for when I really need it.

 

1 Comments:

Blogger Em said...

Very much agree, though I do have a Walgreens nearby I could walk to, and a few restaurants. The big downside for me is 1) Most of the year walking anywhere means arriving drenched in sweat, and 2) I only dare walk to things (or bike to things) on my side of Hulen as it's a fucking deadly street. Maybe I'm a baby. I donno. But I would like to live somewhere more like Boise or Austin, where biking and walking are well-accepted and not hated by motorists.

28.12.08  

Post a Comment

<< Home

 

 

 

B

Blake (n.) 1984 - Present

A tall-ish American boy. Speaks three languages. An adrenaline junkie who hates rollercoasters, but loves to talk about turbos. Video game expert and aspiring performer currently working the karaoke circuit. Currently trying to find his heart, which seems to have been left in Tokyo. Graduate student in San Diego.

Warning: This site has moved.

Orange Dots

See also:

Orange Dots

Listening to:

snagger's Last.fm Weekly Artists Chart

Orange Dots

Archives:

Orange Dots

I Power Blogger button

© M. Blake Ellison.
2001-2009.
All Rights Reserved.

Design by Emily.